Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2017 13:59:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Igor R." <freebsd@str.komkon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: command line history broken in 11.0

It is not something that I've tried to do, but here is an idea:
    "reboot & ; exit".
The rational is that by doing this you would detach the standard output
of the "reboot" process, and that will allow the exit to complete.

If that doesn't help, you can think about redirecting the stdout
(and as the next step, - stderr) in that command.

HTH!

PS. I just looked at the source code, and I suspect that the difference
in the behavior in 10.3 and 11.0 (or 11.0.1) might be related to these
changes:
Just before 10.3 release, this change was introduced to /bin/csh:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=296976
and then quickly reversed. by Revision 297204.
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=297204
You can see that revision 296976 had weird side effects:
"causes strange effects like for example SIGTERM not
being delivered to rc(8) scripts on shutdown albeit these use sh(1),
if csh(1) or tcsh(1) are used as login shell of root."

At the same time, soon after 10.3-release was split from HEAD, that change
was reversed in HEAD as well, but in addition to that (Revision 297672)
a different call (fork) was introduced:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=297673
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/bin/csh/config_p.h?r1=297673&r2=297672&pathrev=297673

Maybe that change also had some side effects (like what you see), but just
less severe or less noticeable, - so it "worked" for 11.0*-release.

Assuming my guess is correct, I'd recommend you filing a bug report (pr),
so that it is documented - and that can bring it to the attention of the
core team.
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi