Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:43:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP performance decrease?

Alexander B. Povolotsky said:
> Hello!
>
> I've just benchmarked (by bytebench from ports) my new server, with 64M RAM
> (for now; will increase soon) and 2 PII-233 processors (EliteGroup p6LX2-A
> mainboard).
>
> Here are the results:
>
> Test                            Non-SMP      SMP
> arith (double)                   27.5        28.1
> Drystone 2 (no reg. vars)        23.6        24.1
> Execl thoughput                  90.8        46.8   <- ???
> File copy                        35.1        37.7
> Pipe-based context switching     20.4         9.0   <- ???
> Shell scripts (8 concurrent)     12.8        12.2   <- ???
>
> I don't understand why execl throughput and context switching is TWICE
> slower in SMP mode, and I doesn't understand AT ALL why shell script
> benchmark isn't twice faster.
>
> Wrong benchmark? Problems with something in kernel? Me being crazy?

Certain things in the SMP kernel make it actually slower, and seem
slower both.  If you load your machine with multiple processes, the
system will be faster with SMP and two processors than with one.
(Of course, it is possible to make the system slower with SMP
and two processors, but that is not generally true.)

Bottom line:  you are running a low level benchmark, and low level
benchmarks don't meassure loaded system performances very well. :-(.