Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:45:47 +1000
From:      Da Rock <9Phackers@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

> On 01/20/12 09:13, John Kozubik wrote:
I normally hate to dredge up old threads, but this is like getting
halfway through a story and not finding out the ending... :)

What is the answer? Is there a solution to this?

I have a string of questions on this:

1. Incidentally, what exactly does constitute a major release?

2. Is there a reason to update the numbers so quickly?

3. Could a higher bar be set to reach a major release than simply
temporal objectives? One of the differentiating factors between linux
and FreeBSD is the simple fact that linux distros tend to run so fast
through the numbers- and while just a matter of perspective, it could
provide some sense of stability to enterprise users. Weighed against, of
course, the ability to upgrade easily.

4. If in the case of the former, could some backporting to the stable
and release branches facilitate an easy upgrade to the next major release?

5. Could binaries be the answer to easier upgrades (customised for
enterprise users)?

I'd really like to know the OP's thoughts on this...

Cheers