Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:40:26 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Sung Nae Cho <sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Regarding hw.ata.wc="1"......

It depends what version of FreeBSD you are running and what risks you want
to take. Yes, writes will be faster with write caching enabled. However,
its that much more risky incase of power loss.

sysctl -a | grep ata will tell you what it currently is. 4.3R had it
disabled by default. However, it was turned back on as a default a little
later.
adding hw.ata.wc=1 to /boot/loader.conf will turn it on the next time you
reboot.

         ---Mike