Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 02:16:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "W. Desjardins" <bill@carracing.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   missing mac address on 4.5R?

Hello,

on 3 out of 4 servers just installed, I get this when looking at ifconfig:

sis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 66.28.74.109 netmask 0xffffffe0 broadcast 66.28.74.127
        inet6 fe80::d483:b781:285a:6ea1%sis0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
 NOTE:------->^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        status: active

systems are running 4.5 RELEASE with custom kernel (GENERIC had same
results). The motherboard is an asus cusi-fx sis socket 370 with the sis
630e onboard fast ethernet chipset.

I have 7 more of these exact same machines with most also running 4.5R
fine and showing normal mac addresses. normally I run stable on all my
machines, but I have been bringing them up to 4.5R to get them all in sync
with each other since they are all identical.

has anyone had any problems with the recent versions of this motherboard
or am I looking at a few bad chipsets?

Thanks,

Bill