Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:00:22 -1000
From:      Gary Dunn <gdunn@mac.com>
To:        sharpmind2@371.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what's meaning

sharpmind2@371.net wrote:

> This a section from freebsd-handbook,but I make no sense of it.
> anyone can show me a figure about its action?
>
> 15.2.1.5.3. Receiving Incoming Calls
> When you configure ppp to receive incoming calls on a machine connected to a LAN, you must decide if you wish to forward packets to the LAN. If you do, you should allocate the peer an IP number from your LAN's subnet, and use the command enable proxy in your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file. You should also confirm that the /etc/rc.conf file contains the following:
>
>     gateway="YES"

By itself, ppp implements a tcp/ip connection between computers. Assume one FreeBSD box at work and another at home. The home box dials the work box and establishes a ppp connection for telnet, ftp, etc. When the home box initiates ppp on the work box the work box assigns it an IP address.

If the work box is connected to a LAN, and you want to access resources on the LAN, you should reserve a block of IP address assigned to that LAN for use by ppp. The work box is a gateway in that the home box is not connected directly to the LAN, If you don't tell the work box to be a gateway it won't forward the packetes.

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project