Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:04:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Justin Smith <jsmith@drexel.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade experience 5.1p10->5.2 Beta

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Justin Smith wrote:

> >Are you running with GENERIC from 5.2-BETA?  If so, you may wish to
> >recompile your kernel with WITNESS and INVARIANTS turned off and see if
> >that helps.  These debugging features are critical during the development
> >process, but also seriously impact performance and might make the
> >difference you're seeing.
>
> This worked like a charm! Everything, including opengl-intensive
> applications seem to work perfectly. It's amazing only problem was in
> the debugging code! Thank you.

When we ship 5.2, it will presumably ship with the debugging features
disabled in the GENERIC kernel, but enabled in a second DEBUG kernel in
the same way we shipped 5.1.  However, it won't become the default in the
branch version of the kernel configuration until 5-STABLE.  If you run
into any stability problems, you'll probably want to turn the debugging
features back on again to help diagnose them.  You might try turning
INVARIANTS back on but leaving WITNESS off and see if that gives you
enough performance to do what you need to do while still keeping around
some debugging features to help in the event of any problem.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research