Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:05:50 -0500
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing Default Route

>1. Has anyone out there crafted a shell script that can monitor whether
>the default route is active?
>   if active, leave alone; if inactive change to abother route; if route
> is back up, change back to it.
>   I have a link that keeps fluctuating and I seriously need something to
> run out of cron to manage the
>   connectivity for me. I don't have sufficient skills to script this but
> I believe someone could already
>   be doing that.

well, a load-balancer could do that, in the sense when the balnacer probed
the default route as not repsonding, it would be the same a "heavily
overloaded" so the load balancer would route to another next-hop gateway
ip.  there's an RFC for redundant routing, take a look at this:

/usr/ports/net/vrrpd

sourceforge, too, IIRC

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training