Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 00:29:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      donv648@kfogmail.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        brameld@twave.net
Subject:   Re: ipfilter setup help

> Re-formatted for legibility.....
>
> Hello,
>
> I need to set up firewall abilities for an office proxy/router/server.
> I am starting to understand the methods for either ipfilter or ipfw
> okay but am not sure of the right way to set this up with the least
> disruption. What I would like to do is turn on filtering, but only log
> connections and not deny anything at first. This way I could tell what
> traffic is moving and understand what problems I'll be causing by
> activating the actual filter, hopefully avoiding some. Is there an easy
> way to do this?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Don V.

Thank you. I am sorry for formatting the message badly. That
happened before but I forgot.

Could someone direct me to their best sets of rules or
online tutors? That would help a lot. I found several
examples in the mailing list search but it is looking like
the best way to do it is to pass everything and do verbose
logs until we understand our traffic. If that's right then
a couple raised hands would help confidence. I don't want
to disrupt the office as much as possible. Much of Freebsd
is new to me still but with samples I get along.

Thank you very much,

Don

Get your own free email!
http://www.kfog.com