Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2008 23:36:10 +0000
From:      Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org" <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Writing BSD device drivers (was: Re: Philips SAA7130 )

Interesting...
=20
As you could see on the list I didn't get many replies to my queries. But w=
hat you have presented does look worthwhile to get into. I have no experien=
ce in programming in this style but lets see how we go and maybe I'll get s=
ome help on the way.
=20
Thanks for that.

> To: freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org; freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org> Date: Su=
n, 20 Jan 2008 13:40:51 +0000> From: freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com> CC: > Su=
bject: Writing BSD device drivers (was: Re: Philips SAA7130 )> > [ -drivers=
 added ]> > > I've been still trying to get my AverMedia Hybrid PCMCIA card=
 to work, but =3D> > I don't think its coming anytime soon. Trouble is I've=
 been trying to use t=3D> > he linux compat but I haven't got any answer on=
 how, I've asked about how t=3D> > o build a driver (so I might be able to =
use linux compat and use the driver=3D> > s from there) but got no answer- =
I reckon for the new tv cards you might ne=3D> > ed to go to linux. There a=
re current linux drivers available for Avermedia =3D> > at linuxtv.org but =
I can't get them to work on bsd unfortunately. I'd like =3D> > to get it to=
 work on bsd, but I keep coming up blanks and it seems beyond m=3D> > y ski=
lls to build a driver for it.> > Currently I'm using fc8 to run my multimed=
ia, and I'll use bsd on my server=3D> > s. Seems to be the only way atm, bu=
t I will be watching...> > NetBSD has a Device Driver Writing Guide:> > htt=
p://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/ddwg.html> > Also, see the 'FreeBSD=
 Kernel "Newbies"' thread in> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-=
drivers/2007-December/date.html> > I am not a FreeBSD device driver writing=
 wizard, but I gather the usual> method is not to port a linux driver (due =
to massive differences between the> linux kernel and the *BSD kernels, and =
also due to concerns with the quality> of linux code), but to write a new d=
river. Data sheets and linux driver source> are useful for learning how the=