Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 2017 20:23:01 -0600
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        karels@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making SW_WATCHDOG dynamic

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 10:11:52AM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> I think we have lost some light as to what the GENERIC kernel
> is really for, to get you up and running good enough that you
> can infact build a custom kernel.  I do not think it was ever
> intended that people run this long term, though over the years
> that has become the defacto standard.  IMHO, a bad one at that.

By including more things in GENERIC, we expanded our audience past
"kernel developers + system administrators".

In particular, including "people using desktops and laptops who just
want to get work done".

Expecting everyone to recompile their kernels would be a shocking
step backwards for the project IMVHO.

mcl