Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:13:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <yoshi@parodius.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LAN Questions.

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Danny wrote:

> Then in response to the non- freebsd alternative. (note that I am not a
> Microsoft advocate. I am all for freebsd. I am just doing my job.)
>
> Question:
>
> 1)what kind of networking approach would I use to solve the problem?

I can't read your mind, however if it was me making the decision I'd
obivously pick FreeBSD, it's what I know best and enjoy working with
the most.

> 2) Who would I configure Windows NT to do the job? Is NT a better solution
> for this job?

The only thing I've found NT better then FreeBSD is for use as a
door-stop or bookend, the damn packaging is so much bulkier.
Another thing NT isn't good at is helping the enviornment.

> 3) Any other ideas?

Use what you know and feel most comfortable with.

> Looking forward to your feedback.
>
> (Please not I am not a Microsoft advocate. I am all for Freebsd and I am
> only doing my job whether the solution may require Linux, NT, Netware or
> even Freebsd.)

I really think you should stick with what you know for business tasks,
if you haven't done much more than install FreeBSD once or twice and you've
been running X for 2 years doing all kinds of spiffy network thingies with
it, then go with X.  Where X is one of the alternatives you've listed.

If you don't know any of the alternate OS's then you may enjoy
trying FreeBSD.

You may gain a fraction of performance by choosing any of these OS's
(FreeBSD included) but it doesn't help if you don't know what to do
when strange things pop up or a special setup is required.

good luck,
-Alfred