Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:07:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        noslenj@swbell.net (Jay Nelson)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: funny repair remark

> >IBM has also supported the idea of "FreeBSD certification" of
> >IBM systems; Doug Ambrisko spent some time validating a
> >machine, only to have the Advocacy group _not_ show up with a
> >FreeBSD certification logo.
>
> Interesting. I always wondered what FreeBSD would be like on an SP.

Any real advocate, I think, has wondered the same thing.

> Are they willing to open up information for MCA, SSA and other useful
> devices?

The MCA stuff is well documented.  I have a 386 PS/2 box that
runs using ABIOS and FreeBSD circa 1995, though I haven't
cranked it up in a year or so.

The MCA stuff is documented at:

	http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/

Along with a lot of other stuff.  You have me at a disadvantage
with "SAA"; I assume you mean AS/400.

The AS/400 is unsuited to running C.  It uses a 64 bit pointer,
8 bits of which are a check-value.  This means that running C
code that does pointer arithmatic or array indexing would be
nearly impossible with a free compiler.

> Rephrased, will we benefit from the current Linux hysteria at
> IBM?

FreeBSD will benefit, if FreeBSD grabs the opportunities it is
presented; just as FreeBSD has been able to benefit from other
aspects of the Linux phenomenon.  The lack of tangible benefit
in past situations is more a FreeBSD problem, than anything else.

> As an aside, there was some discussion in the past about the
> functionally useless but politically beneficial business of
> certification. Has anything changed and is there such a thing? IBM's
> backing of a FreeBSD certification would carry a lot of weight in
> the corporate and govt worlds.

FreeBSD certification is different than certifying hardware to
have been tested and verified to have drivers for all its
components for FreeBSD so that people can buy off the shelf
hardware for FreeBSD use, without fear.

I remember a FreeBSD certification discussion, as well as a
"FreeBSD Certified Engineer" discussion (an attempt to get in
on the RedHat certification frenzy), but nothing really came
from that, as all of the hacker types shouted down all of the
business types that wanted it.

> Do you know what IBM is doing with the *BSDs?

The WebConnections product is based on a customer premesis
equipment provided by IBM, and services.  The equipment being
provided is a Whistle InterJet.  InterJets run FreeBSD.

IBM has also been publically recognized to be bidding FreeBSD
into school districts in Taiwan.

NTT is bidding InterJet hardware into school prefectures for
approximately 28,000 schools in Japan.

There are a number of FreeBSD projects scattered around IBM,
now that the due dilligence has been passsed on Whistle.  Some
projects are using Linux, but only because they haven't heard
of FreeBSD, or because they are on non-Intel chips, and the
alternatives are Linux or NetBSD.

At least one project at Almaden has switched to FreeBSD.

At least one person responsible for the IRDa standard, and an
IBM employee, is working on drivers for some IBM hardware.

And then there's a lot of stuff that I can't tell you about,
but which I personally find exciting.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---