Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 22:49:43 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: BSDi Acquired by Embedded Computing Firm Wind River

This depends on what you want to do with a desktop system.

The first issue that most people that want to run desktop systems want to
do is the following:  They Want The Cheapest Thing Possible.  In short,
placing some absolutely rediculous price constraints on building their
desktop systems results in some truly gruesome hardware selections.

So, what happens when someone with a e-machines system with a winmodem,
a bunch of usb peripherals, a crappy monitor and video card goes and
tries to load FreeBSD?  Well, their chances of success are lower than if
they tried loading, say, Windows ME.  This is because ME has to be designed
to run on that absolute junk hardware - because that's the target market
Microsoft is shooting for.

Now, there's absolutely no reason that you cannot select decent-quality
hardware for desktop systems, such as using SCSI peripherals, and that
sort of thing.  It will cost you more money, probably a significantly
more amount.  The better hardware will run FreeBSD, and other
higher-performance operating systems just fine.  In fact, it may NOT run the
cheaper OS's as well, I know of at least 1 Compaq model that a customer
has which runs NT Workstation flawlessly, but crashed regularly under
Windows 95.

I don't think that there's inherently anything that someone wants to do on
a desktop system that is hazardous to the operating system.  However,
certainly there's programs that people want to run that ARE hazardous to
the computer!  For example, I've seen Pagemaker crash a system for no
reason whatsoever, except application software bugs.

If you are willing to use FreeBSD as a desktop OS - which means giving up
the ability to run certain windows applications - then you will probably
have no problems with it.  Now, if you were a programmmer and you "forced"
FreeBSD into running _all_ Windows applications, well then you might have to
make serious compromises in system integrity to do it.

>Bottom-line -- should FreeBSD be chosen
>strictly for use as a server, and Linux as a desktop platform, albeit the
>latter's instability that *sometimes* occurs in their effort to support
>as much relevant hardware/software as possible?

This is the $64 question, isn't it?  Well, my answer to that is the
following: Since FreeBSD has stability and reliability as it's absolute
mantra, when selecting an OS for _either_ a server or a desktop, try FreeBSD
first.  If it will work for what you want to do, then your ahead of the
game.  If it fails on the server hardware you have, then consider that the
server hardware shouldn't be in use as a server to start with, and replace
it.  But, if FreeBSD fails on the desktop hardware, or you find that there's
things that you can't do on your desktop that you want to do, then check out
Linux.

Now, understand that this rule is only good for _me_.  In a large company
with controlled desktops, you may for example, decide to standardize on
Linux for the desktops from the get-go.  You may do this with the idea that
your more likely to run into oddball or substandard peripherals in your
fleet of desktops.  Since standardization is paramount here, and swapping
out the entire fleet of desktops isn't an option, you may feel that
ultimately you will get better support from the Linux community for the many
variations of low-quality desktop hardware, and the many oddball user
applications that you may run into.

Compounding the problem of answering this question is the fact that Linux
and FreeBSD are at the very _beginning_ of their life interfacing with
commercial software and hardware vendors.  There's still a large amount of
new hardware that's being released _without_ support for Linux/FreeBSD
drivers.  Manufacturers are just beginning to come around and start
including Linux drivers in new systems, and we haven't yet seen that large
divergence of Linux into the desktop, and FreeBSD into the server market.  I
see the tendencies for it, however, which is why I made the comments that I
did on this issue.