Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 2003 12:06:56 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Edward Brocklesby <ejb@lythe.org.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rand() is broken

> Maybe I missed something, but why cannot you just rip random() from libc,
> rename it to bakul_shah_random() and use that in your testing code?  Then you
> are safe from any changes to random(), and indeed have a portable RNG if your
> host OS changes.

Yes, *I* can do it but I don't work at every place they do
simulation!  If in the extreme you are suggesting that a
portable application shouldn't rely on any OS features, you
are of course right but that kind of makes mockery of any
claims of compatibility.  The point of compatibility is to
not break interfaces unless there is a significant benefit.

-- bakul