Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:25:21 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh Public Keys Suddenly Stopped working for one account.

Per olof Ljungmark writes:
> cat /var/log/auth.log ?

	Thank you!  This makes me feel down-right stupid. It
just slipped my mind. I've kind of gotten out of the habit of
looking at auth.log since we put the system in question behind a
firewall and it is not accessible from the general Internet any
more.

sshd[1746]: Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for directory
/usr/home/automation

	I said that the ownership looked okay for that
directory. It needed to be 755 so everybody on the system in
question can at least look at files in it. Somehow, yesterday or
the day before, I accidentally had it set to 775 which is not
good. I think I remember realizing I was in the wrong directory,
once, and that may have been when I did it.

	sshd and sendmail will both refuse to operate on files
that are writable by other than the owner. I had looked at those
permissions several times and the fact that it was
drwxrwxr-x instead of drwxr-xr-x
hadn't sunk in yet.

	Many thanks.

Martin