Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 10:15:27 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        leclercn@videotron.ca
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum status

On Saturday,  7 April 2001 at  9:36:17 -0400, tcn wrote:
>> Try this temporary fix.  It works fine on the i386; is it OK on alpha?
>
>    Yep, this works fine.

Good, I'll commit it.

>> Before you say "that should be sizeof(udev_t)", note that udev_t is
>> defined differently in userland (another thing  we need to look at, I
>> suppose).
>
>   I just can't image all the problems that will arise when ia64 will be
> out.  There is a lot of  64bits unclean code out there.

I think that if it works on the alpha, it'll work on the ia64.  But
I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

> I think it is an error to keep size of int 32 bits for 64 bits
> machine.  Anyways, this is another story.

Indeed, and it has nothing to do with the problem at hand, which was
that dev_t was defined one way (the POSIX way, so unchangeable) in
userland, and another way in the kernel.  I still consider this to be
a bug.

Greg