Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 17:04:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        Ben Black <black@zen.cypher.net>
Cc:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@ice.cold.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why routed and not gated by default?

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Ben Black wrote:

> because routed pretty much Just Works when used on the small scale for
> which it was designed.  gated is a hairy monster to properly configure
> and can easily mangle your routing tables with the slightest
> misconfiguration.

Not to mention that there are still fairly massive bugs floating
around in gated. In 3.5beta4, which last I checked was the latest
3.5 release, they had little tricks like calling a routine that
returned a pointer to static data, calling it again later from
another function, and then the original function would try to use
the now-stomped-on static data. The gated folks didn't seem to
concerned about this, either.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates