Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 15:49:22 -0500
From:      Jon Ringuette <wintermute@imeme.net>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about possibly additions to TOP

>  PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
>32652 root      96    0  1956K  1080K RUN      0:00  0.00%  0.00% top
>32650 root      20    0  1448K   996K pause    0:00  0.00%  0.00% tcsh
>
>In general, new "features" for top go into the cross-platform vendor top
>code, but features to improve FreeBSD-specific information extraction go
>into our local tree.  What exactly does -j do?

Thank you for your information I was not actually aware that it was
fixed in 5.0 . I went ahead and at the advise of Alfred Perlstein made
it into a patch for just machine.c that will allow the 4.5 branch of top
just fail out of kvm calls more gracefully and thus allowing it to run
in a jailed environment or really any environment where it can not get
all of its needed information.   I don't really want to clutter up
everyones mailbox with sending another patch but I have throw in on web
page if you can to take a look
http://peoplearestrange.net/jon/machine.c.diff

-jon
iMeme