Date:      Wed, 04 Jan 1995 10:42:22 -0500
From:      Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@cisco.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended sound card for 1.1.5.1

>I've *finally* found (two days ago) some info on programming the bastard,  so
>in my copious (hah hah hah) free time, I'm going to try again.  I'm under the
>impression that any I/O to a non-gus address between a certain reset command
>and completion locks out initialization changes to the GUS.  I find this
>difficult to believe,  but the first thing to do is change the definition of
>OUTB during system initialization because someone made it do an outb() to a
>non-GUS location to slow things down... SIGH. :-(

Actually, this turns out to be exactly the case.  I had a couple of
conversations with their tech support, and the reason it was done this was
was to prevent accidental re-programming of the IRQ and DMA channels.  Their
tech support is pretty good, actually, and was able to give me some helpful
suggestions for writing a Unix device driver.  (The support e-mail address is
support@fortech.com).  It was a bitch getting it all working, though!  I'm
surprised Amanacio had to disassemble their init program, as Gravis gives you
the source to their SDK library for free.

I have a working reset routine (it's for a driver for NetBSD, but I'm sure
you won't have a problem just taking the reset stuff).  Your welcome to it.

--Ken