Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2001 02:43:11 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        Jim <kovar@nycap.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

On Sun, 07 Jan 2001, Jim wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a question and I guessed from the website that this was the proper
> list to join if I had such questions.
>
> I am having problems getting my Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370/1371 working.  As
> much as I can tell the operating system is not detecting it.  I have ruled
> out hardware problems, as the other operating systems on the box use it all
> the time.  I read in the help pages online that it is a supported card, so
> that also rules out incompatability.
>
> Is there some way that I can get the operating system to use this card?  I
> tried upgrading from 4.0 to 4.2,  and this did not help.  My suspicions are
> that there is a file in /sys/pci that I am missing and once I have it I
> will have to recompile the kernel.  I am hoping it will not be something
> that painful.  If someone can point me in the right direction I would
> appreciate it.
>
> Jim

You have to recompile the kernel.  If the sound card is a PCI card, add:
 'device     pcm' to your kernel configuration file.  Check the manual for ISA
card information.

After successfully recompiling the kernel, you'll have to do:  'sh MAKEDEV snd0'

Get more specific instructions from the manual.

Andrew Gould