Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 13:04:39 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/100+ driver or hardware? (Update)

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 02:06:42PM -0400, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:
> --On Monday, January 08, 2001 09:21:13 -0600 Jonathan Lemon
> <jlemon@flugsvamp.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > It looks like 'hayek' is refusing to accept one of the segments that
> > 'keynes' is transmitting.  The segment arrives at the machine, but
> > 'hayek' never sends an ACK.
> >
> > I'd look at 'netstat -s' and see whether any of the 'bad checksum'
> > counters are set, if so, then something is corrupting the packets.
>
> Just the flag I needed :-) As soon as the connection stalls, the
> bad-checksum counter goes trough the roof. And *every* re-transmitted
> packet seems to have a bad checksum as well.
>
> The hub is not busy at the moment I tried and none of the other TCP
> connections to and from this box are affected when this occurs. It seems
> that packets with certain content get mangled so that retransmits will
> never solve the problem.

OK, that seems to be part of the key. You have hit on a data pattern
which will not make it thru some part of the link. Not an unheard of
situation. Often an impedance mismatch where the pattern resonates
and "rings" an extra bit out of place.

Hard to say if the problem is the hub or the Intel card. But seemingly
the combination. Changing either to a different model and/or brand
solves the problem?

Any chance you can capture and/or share the problem data?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net