Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 13:46:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        dev@fgate.flevel.co.uk (Developer)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help on setting up yp/nis

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Developer had
to walk into mine and say:

> Could someone please help me, what do I need to do to make one machine a
> yp server and then have the other bsd machines use passwd database from
> the server?
>
> Ive got the ypserver running and done ypbind on the client but when I
> telnet to the client and try to log in under a user name from the server
> it just doesn't find the user???

For the umpity-umpth time: read the passwd(5) man page. (That's passwd(5),
not passwd(1); 'man 5 passwd'.) It explains quite clearly how to set up a
client to use the NIS passwd maps (and how not to do it).

If, after reading this man page, you still have specific questions,
come back and ask them and I'll try to help.

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."