Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:39:58 +0200
From:      gareth <bsd@lordcow.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cpu usage

On Mon 2006-10-23 (18:56), Oliver Fromme wrote:
> It shouldn't change anything.  The nice level will not
> reduce the amount of work that your CPU is doing, it might
> only shift that amount between processes.

ah ok.

> Depending on the type of your CPU (which you didn't tell
> us), it might be possible to reduce the clock rate using

it's an amd athlon-xp 2600+

> the cpufreq(4) framework.  You can control it with sysctl.
> Reducing the clock rate will reduce the power consumption
> and thus the heat generated by the CPU.  Of course it will
> also make your computer run much slower.

thanx, will give that a shot. the machine runs fine under
normal circumstances, it's just the odd few jobs. hopefully
this'll work without a reboot. *reads up*

> should first try to fix your hardware.  If the CPU is
> overclocked, stop that.

nope, not overclocked

On Tue 2006-10-24 (01:46), Kazuaki ODA wrote:
> Is this really a cpu problem?  I suspect that your cpu fan or case fan
> has stopped, so there is nothing to cool the cpu.

i've been checking those, and they *seem* to be ok. am gonna buy another
fan for the cpu when i get a sec.

On Mon 2006-10-23 (18:57), Roland Smith wrote:
> Forgot the thermal paste between the CPU and the fan?
> Overclocked the CPU?

nope ;) i built this machine 3 years ago i think, whenever the 2600+'s
came out. it's only been giving trouble in the past few months.