Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:25:58 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
Cc:        Rob Hudson <rob@euglug.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl upgrade

this was, on the fateful occasion around Aug 04 14:43 -0400,
sent by Christoph Sold

> Rob Hudson wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > What's the best way to upgrade the base perl installation from 5.005
> > to 5.6.1?  Earlier, I installed 5.6.1 from CPAN without thinking too
> > much about it.  Now I have perl-5.005 as /usr/bin/perl, and perl-5.6.1
> > as /usr/local/bin/perl.  Is this a good way?
>
> It's the default way. Perl 5.0x will still be the default system perl in
> 4.4-Release. If you want to start developing with newer Perl versions, a
> second installation will help the system to stay stable.

second installation of perl i suppose, not of freebsd w/ 'NOPERL=true',
right?

while we are on the subject, could the perl 5.005 files be deleted
safely by parsing the (build|install)world logs?

--
 so, do you like word games or scrabble?
	 - parv