Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:20:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Install new server from existing server?

My own Tale of Two Servers...

I was changing from an old, single processor machine (a DTK --if you
remember them) to a Dell PE 2500 dual processor.

I recompiled the kernel on the old box to support aac (PERC 3 RAID that
the new box used) and created .tar files of the filesystems on the old
box, and set up the same filesystems on the new box.

I booted the new box from the #2 (Live filesystem) CD, enabled the NIC and
ftp'd the .tar files to their respective filesystem homes on the new box.
After a tar -xvf *.tar on the files on the new box, I edited the newly
untarred /etc/fstab on the new box (the RAID made the /dev/partitiion
names completely different), pulled out the CD and rebooted (and prayed a
bit).

Sonovagun, the new box booted!

I installed the cvsup package, grabbed the new sources, and rebuilt the
kernel (the new box needed SMP/APIC support which is death for a
single-processor system like my old one was).

I then used rsync to sync all 2600 users and their folders to the new
machine.  And out of those 2600 users, only 2 got hosed (on the new
machine) because their accounts were created by a staffer on the old
machine between the time I untarred the old server files on the new
machine and the time I rsynced the /usr/home directory (I forgot to update
master.passwd and their UID and GID came over as numerical values --easily
fixed in both cases).

All in all I was shocked at how smooth the transition was --I was prepared
for a week's worth of hacking around on the new and old boxes to try and
get things right.

The only thing that bit me (slightly) was when I actually gave the new box
the old boxes static IP address. The old box was joined to an NT domain
for (Samba) file-sharing purposes, and the new NT Domain Controller had
been upgraded to Win 2k Advanced Server about a month prior to my switch.

In order to (I thought) provide a transparent hardware switch, I dutifully
unjoined the old box from the Domain, and joined the new box to it.

What I didn't realize (and never would have thought about) was that since
the old box had been "grandfathered" in to the Win 2k Domain (Active
Directory enabled), it's NETBIOS name was dutifully accepted by Win 2k
Server.  I had made it's NETBIOS name the same as it's FQDN
--dl1.njit.edu.  But, after removing it from the Domain, I found out that
Win 2k Server HATES NETBIOS names that contain dots --so the NETBIOS name
of dl1.njit.edu became simply dl1

From a network point of view this had zero impact, but from the point of
view of several hundred students that had file DSN's with dl1.njit.edu in
their path (not simply dl1), it had something more than "zero" impact --it
broke every last one of their .asp files.

Well we all live and learn  --and, surprisingly, rather than calling for
my head, the instructors (with panic-supplied instructions from me) all
were able to treat the further editting of the .asp files as an exercise,
so I was burned in effigy in suprisingly small numbers.

Sorry for the longwindedness, but you may benefit from my success and my
folly.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT