Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 15:39:07 -0400
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setting TERM for ssh

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 11:54:04AM +0300, Len Merikanto wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Bob Hall wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to log in to a distant account using ssh or telnet.
> > I get the following error message:
> > 	tcsh: No entry for terminal type "cons25"
> > I've looked in the man pages, and it appears as though I'm supposed
> > to be able to change TERM in .telnetrc for telnet and ~/.ssh/environment
> > for ssh. (I'd prefer ssh, but I'd settle for telnet.) I've tried
> > the following line:
> > 	TERM=vt100;	export TERM
>

> on machine your trying to connect to this host do:
> setenv TERM vt100
> or export TERM=vt100

Thanks, but neither one works. Again, I'm using 4.3 Release and trying to
edit the ssh configuration files, not the shell configuration files. I
think your instructions are for c and sh type shells, respectively.

Does anyone know how to set TERM for ssh? The ssh man pages say that you
can do this, but they don't say how. I've been researching and
experimenting for several days now, but haven't found the answer.

Bob Hall
--
Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.        -Khushhal Khan Khatak