Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:04:41 +0900
From:      "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@iDaemons.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net>, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, java@FreeBSD.ORG, sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG, kevlo@FreeBSD.ORG, knu@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for changing bsd.port.mk and adding bsd.java.mk (+ruby)

At Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:38:38 -0500,
Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> >>  needs to be fixed up.
> >
> >That's why it's *loosely* modelled after bsd.ruby.mk ;-)
> >
> >The bsd.java.mk file is very simple in its current form, so my
> >guess is that whatever your problems are with the bsd.ruby.mk,
> >they probably don't apply to the bsd.java.mk. :)

Since we have many ruby developers who are on FreeBSD, bsd.ruby.mk is
designed and made to allow users to install the ruby module ports on a
manually installed ruby instead of the one from the port (lang/ruby or
lang/ruby-devel), and also allow users to install multiple versions of
ruby at the same time without conflict.

Most hacks in bsd.ruby.mk that look ugly are because of that, so you
don't want to follow bsd.ruby.mk in that respect unless there is a
similar demand among the FreeBSD-Java folk.

> I'm being pestered with "emergency" phone calls at the moment,
> so my last message wasn't as useful as it should have been.  I
> should have done a bit more checking into the problem, and at
> least described what the problem was!
>
> This will seem a bit contorted, but it's a trap I fell into one
> time by mistake, and it took me quite awhile to figure out how
> I got there and how to get out of it...
>
> If you go into a port like 'portupgrade', and do a 'make', you
> will see some familiar-looking messages such as:
>
>     Warning: Object directory not changed from original
>             /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade/work/pkgtools-...

I'm not following you...  Are you saying that the warning is a problem
and it has something to do with bsd.ruby.mk?

Portugprade has BSD-style Makefile's for build and install, and that's
why you see the same warning you see when building a component of
FreeBSD.

> At this point, 'make's done at the port-level will fail with various
> weird errors.  I got as far as making a patch to bsd.ruby.mk which
> solved some of those problems, and then I ran into a problem which
> was too complicated for me to figure out at the time.
>
> While it may be a bit odd to do the 'make obj', the warning messages
> certainly imply that it would be reasonable to do, and the target is
> recognized and does work.  But if that 'make obj' is done, then the
> port will no longer work.
>
> So, you might want to check this new bsd.java.mk, and see if it has
> this same problem as bsd.ruby.mk does.

Sorry, but I couldn't figure out what the problems are and in what
respect bsd.ruby.mk needs to be fixed in your mail.  Could you
elaborate?

--
                     /
                    /__  __            Akinori.org / MUSHA.org

"Somewhere out of a memory.. of lighted streets on quiet nights.."