Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:15:23 +0100
From:      Matthias Saou <matthias@accelance.fr>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with a Xircom ethernet card

Thank you all for your suggestions, but I finally got my card to work
yesterday evening at home! Here is what I did :

I recompiled the kernel with "irq 11" instead of "irq ?" for both pcic0
and pcic1, then I wasn't getting the "(null)"("(null)") problem anymore,
so I saw that I was slowly getting there :-)
Now I was getting the good ol' "Config id 35 not present etc." I had
before with FreeBSD 4.1.1 whithout having the time (nor the knowledge)
to fix it. This time I saw something : The pccard.conf was parsed and
the (first) matching instance for my card was the one only for the
serial port!!! (Yes, stupid mistake I made...) So I put the ethernet
part at the top of my /etc/pccard.conf file and I got another step
further...
Now I got something like "unable to assign IRQ"... rats! I tried to put
"irq 10" at the top of my pccard.conf, but same thing. Then I tried to
change the "?" in the card's section to "10" and... voilą!
It was tough (I'm really used to Linux, especially SysV-style ones, but
a complete FreeBSD newbie), and I really don't know how I could have
done without having a Linux dual-boot to know the interrupts to use...
oh well.
Now I'm kind of stuck setting the card's ipv4 config by hand after every
boot since the /etc/pccard_dhcp script doesn't seem to work for me (I
have a dhcp server on my LAN, but the ethernet link doesn't even go up).
Does anyone know what to do? I tried to use sysinstall to set my network
settings, but dhcp for xe0 didn't work (it went straight to a manual
config screen) and only the nameserver seems to be set at boot time (not
the IP address nor the gateway).

But I'm glad to have at last a network connection! I compiled lots of
ports (xmms, gimp, some games etc...) without any problems :-)
I like my new toy! Now I just need to get used to it ;-)

Matthias

--
Matthias Saou
matthias@accelance.fr