Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 22:47:57 +0200
From:      Francois Kritzinger <ffkrz@iafrica.com>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>
Subject:   Re: COPY, CUT, PASTE (FILES)

Andrew Hesford wrote:

> On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 09:33:44AM +0200, Francois Kritzinger wrote:
> > Is there a way to copy, cut and then paste files from the shell?
> > E.g. "cut *.txt" and then "cd other_directory" and then "paste"...
> >

> "Cut" and "Paste" are invalid metaphors for files. This is why no shell
> makes use of them. Windows has, once again, screwed things up. Think
> about it like this:
>
>         You have two documents, S and D. Document S has a paragraph you
>         want to append to document D. To do this, you take a pair of
>         scissors, cut out the paragraph in S, and paste it at the end of
>         D.
>
> This is a reasonable action, and is why the "cut and paste" metaphor was
> created: to move blocks of text from one document to another. Now think
> about this:
>
>         You have one document A which is stored in filing cabinet FS.
>         Next to FS you have another cabinet FD¸ which houses other
>         documents. For whatever reason, you desire that document A
>         reside in FD instead of FS. You do not grab the scissors,
>         but instead pull the entire document out of FS and place it in
>         FD.
>
> Scissors would do absolutely no good here. You don't cut and paste
> documents, you shift them around. If you want to move stuff around in
> similar fashion, do this:
>
>         <wander around filesystem until a suitable destination is found>
>         mv /orignal-location/file .
>         <wander around until a second destination is found>
>         cp /new-location-1/file .
>         [...]
>         cp /new-location-n/file .
>
> This is the one-step "cut and paste" operation you want, which is better
> than actual cut and paste, since that is a two-step operation. Remember
> that all the ridiculous quirks of Windows were abandoned when you
> started using FreeBSD. If you want them back, start using Windows again.
>
> --
> Andrew Hesford
> ajh3@usrlib.org

OK then, picture this:

You are in ~/, and you see a file that you want to move someplace else, but
you don't know where yet.

LONG way:
Browse directory structure untill destination is found
type "mv whole_long_path_that
_may_be_so_long_that_you_might_have_to_type_a_whole_lot/filename
destination"

SHORT and EASY and IMO BETTER way:
type "cut filename"
browse directory structure until destination is found
type "paste filename"

As you can easily see, the second way may save you quite a substantial
amount of typing.
And IMO that is a useful feature to have.

Also you can call the cut command anything you like. How about "take" or
"grab" ?

But regardless all I really wanted to know was whether or not there was a
command like that in Unix.