Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:49:43 -0800
From:      "Hervey Wilson" <herveyw@dynamic-cast.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfilter_enable problem on 4.5

I just upgraded my server to 4.5 RC from 4-STABLE last cvsup'd late last
year and it appears that my IP filter configuration is no longer being
automatically loaded. I know this since it's set to default block and once
the server boots, I've lost all contact with both the connected networks and
the loopback interfaces. Reloading ipfilter using the commands from rc.conf
results in a working system. rc.conf has simply:

ipfilter_enable="YES"

With rules in /etc/ipf.rules. IP filter is also compiled into my kernel; I
see the initialization message during boot but cannot find any other
messages regarding the load of the rules - has anyone else run into this or
can suggest where I look for additional error messages beyond
/var/log/messages ?

Thanks in advance,
H.