Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:41:33 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, mark@grondar.za
Subject:   Re: rtld messing up?

John Polstra wrote:
> All I know is this:  The dynamic linker was working just fine for
> years.  Then we got a new version of binutils, and lots of problems
> started happening.  The dynamic linker wasn't changed -- binutils
> was.  I have no idea what got broken, but I kind of doubt that the
> bug is in the dynamic linker.

The new binutils screws over some basic long-standing assumptions
about field ordering and associativity in the object files, which
are no longer maintained (for whatever reason) in the new version
of the tools.

Some of them have been identified and repaired (e.g. the Alpha
code changes for the section/segment order assumption), but it
is going to probably be a long battle.

Technically, the ELF spec permits the ordering, so the assumptions
are really "broken", even though they code for what's really a
defacto-standard of many years, now.  8-(.

I hate the new binutils, but they are required for support
for the 64 bit architectures, so they are not going to just
go away.  I think retrofitting support for these architectures
into the old binutils would be a mistake.

It's a little sad, since with the assumptions, the code would
have been faster on initial execution, than without them.

-- Terry