Date:      Sun, 31 May 2009 18:25:31 -0400
From:      Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing tab stops

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 03:44:24PM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:
>=20
> 	I have a C program that writes to a terminal (currently xterm,
> but could be anything).  For reasons I won't go into, I would like
> to read and change the terminal's tab stops ... from within the
> program ... in a generic/portable way.

You could make a program which does what "resize" does to find the
screensize: it moves the cursor and asks where it is.  (I'm not
aware of an existing program which asks based on tab stops).

> 	Is this possible?
> 	If so, what are the keywords associated with my first clue?

The control sequence that does the asking is the cursor position
report (CPR).

	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html

(also vt100.net).

Not all terminals implement this (for instance FreeBSD console probably
does not).

--=20
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net