Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 09:31:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF preparation step 2 done

According to Søren Schmidt:

> I have just commited part two of the ELF'ifying process.
>
> A make world  will now leave a system that is no longer using /usr/lib
> for a.out libraries, they have been moved to /usr/lib/aout.
> Those that are adventurous can remove all libs & crt files from
> /usr/lib and they will then have a system that is allmost ready for
> an ELF world.
>
> I will let this whole thing settle for a couble of weeks, before then
> next (big) step is taken...

Cool.

Will the ELF libs go into /usr/lib/elf/ or is the reason that a.out
libs are moved that we want to put ELF libs in /usr/lib since that's
the way of the future, and a.out libs will be there just for compability
after a while?

Also a more general question about ELF and FreeBSD. Do we allow for an
easy way to distinguish a FreeBSD ELF binary from other binaries, no
matter if it's static or dymanic, or whatever? I'm thinking about the
problems that we have emulating Linux static ELF binaries without
"brandelf"-ing them first, and thought that it would be bad to put other
OSes in the same position when they try to emulate FreeBSD. Also FreeBSD
wants to know it's fed a FreeBSD binary for sure, and not an unknown ELF
binary, when it's asked to run something.

  /Mikael