Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:06:30 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Kim C. Callis" <kcallis@c2associates.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NICs & modems

> From: "Kim C. Callis" <kcallis@c2associates.net>
> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:40:56 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I am getting the following message when inserting the Wavelan
>
> pccardd[53]: Card "Lucent Technologies"("WaveLAN/IEEE")
> [Version 01.01] matched "Lucent Technologies" ("WaveLAN/IEEE") [(null)]
> [(null)]
> pccardd[53]: Failed to allocate IRQ for Lucent Technologies
>
> When I do a dmsg | grep pcic0 I get the following
>
> pcic0: <VLSI 82C146> at port 0x3e0 irq 10 on isa 0
> pcic0: mamagement 10
> pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
> pccard1: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
>
> I thought maybe cleaning up the /etc/defaults/pccard.conf would make things
> a little better. I changed the memory location and removed some of the irq,
> and still nothing.
>
> Any suggestions?

This looks a lot like an IRQ problem. Look for available IRQs by
grepping dmesg for the string "irq" and from vmstat -i. There will be
VERY few available. Eliminate 2 and 13 which, I am told by people more
expert than I, are never available. Then edit /etc/pccard.confg to
start with the line:
irq    3 8 9 (or whatever you think is available.)

You might be able to free up IRQs by eliminating devices your don't
need (like extra serial ports or an unused parallel port). The most
likely are 8, 9, and 10. If you turn off the parallel port, that
should free up 7. Sound cards on laptops may be in a LOT of different
places. Mine is at 5. If your pcic is using an IRQ, it probably uses
10.

Good luck,

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)