Date:      Sat, 06 Jul 1996 16:14:20 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Which tools can back up inodes with 32bit minor numbers ?

Hi, Reference:
> From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
> As Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>
> > Which if any utils. are available for use in a script to do local backup of
> > directories that have 32bit minor /dev numbers ? Any ? None ?
> > dump:
> >   doesnt accept a directory specifier of /dev (I dont want whole FS archive
- d)
> (You will get /dev into a separate file system anytime soon.  But i
> doubt you will have any need to include it into a backup then. :-)

One can run MAKEDEV to rebuild standard stuff, but after working away
at /dev & various other dirs. with various ports & private stuff,
EG fax + uucp + slip + getty etc,
it's nice to be able to make a complete backup of a working system.

> cpio works, with the ``newer'' formats (-H crc, -H newc)

Thanks !  Just the (in man/ undocumented) magic I needed :-)

Could you consider applying:

	*** old/src/gnu/usr.bin/cpio/cpio.1	Sat Jul  6 15:52:44 1996
	--- new/src/gnu/usr.bin/cpio/cpio.1	Sat Jul  6 15:56:44 1996
	***************
	*** 198,203 ****
	--- 198,205 ----
	  .IP newc
	  The new (SVR4) portable format, which supports file systems having
	  more than 65536 i-nodes.
	+ This format supports devices with 32 bit minor numbers,
	+ (such as are found in FreeBSD 2.2).
	  .IP crc
	  The new (SVR4) portable format with a checksum added.
	  .IP tar

Also, perhaps we should
	s/GNU/GNU (& thus FreeBSD etc)/
in the (formatted) chunk:
	The new ASCII format
	is portable between different  machine  architectures  and
	can  be used on any size file system, but is not supported
	by all versions of cpio; currently, it is  only  supported
	by  GNU  and Unix System V R4.  The crc format is like the
	new ASCII format, but also contains a  checksum

> You forgot:
> pax:

I'm conservative, I don't use pax ;-)   (far as I know, it's just a new
wrapper, not on many commercial Unixes, for formats also available by tar
& cpio, & I have enough trouble remembering cpio parameters).

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/