Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 17:02:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   suprising mount root behavior

Hello all,

Some new root mount behavior in 4.0 just saved my bacon, but I'm curious
as to how it's implemented.

My custom installer accidentally created fstab entries for IDE disks on a
SCSI-only system.  Thus, fstab point to /dev/ad0s1a for / and /dev/ad0s1b
for swap.

I rebooted the system to try and fix it, and lo and behold it booted up
correctly!  I had no swap but root was mounted RW so I could fix the
fstab.

Now my question is: How did it know?  I'm not setting vfs.root.mountfrom
in the loader.

Also, how did mount know to not override the / mountpoint to the one from
fstab (and subsequently fail)?

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org