Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:44:05 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: we need atomic_t

* Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> [001013 02:44] wrote:
> > > Why call it "atomic_t" instead of "long", then?
> >
> > Because certain arch'es that have a greater than zero probability of having
> > a FreeBSD port cannot do atomic operations on entities larger than 24 bits.
> > Therefore, atomic_add_long() etc cannot exist on that system, but atomic_t
> > can.
>
> OK, OK; Alfred wanted only 16 bits.  So I recant, and change the
> question to:
>
> 	"Why call it "atomic_t" instead of "uint16_t", then?

Because by hiding it in a structure one can prevent people from
doing direct assignments, and as I stated before, not all arches
can support atomic ops, therefore they need to be a struct in
order to encapsulate a mutex alongside the value.

I think we're getting really off track here, when I have some time
to breath and not just answer emails I'll be committing the code
to realize this type so I can proceed with my mpsafe work.

-Alfred