Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 03:41:48 -0800
From:      hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /etc lock out

i guess i did something REAL stupid!
i changed the following files in /etc:

group
master.passwd
passwd
pwd.db
spwd.db

i think that was all of them.  i did a GREP in /etc on
roots real name (and added my last name to all occurences)
and did the same to my login/user name.

now i'm locked out of my BSD partitions!

i get messages before the login prompt for each TCP service
saying they will not be started because "root" doesn't exist.
i guess that Kerberos stuff uses your REAL name when it
encrypts or what ???

is there a fix?  or have i really screwed myself? !!!
i try to login as root - but my password doesn't work anymore ...