Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:58:58 -0000
From:      "Brian Somers" <brian@utell.co.uk>
To:        "Charles Mott" <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        "Julian Elischer" <julian@whistle.com>, "Eivind Eklund" <eivind@dimaga.com>, "Brian Somers" <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>, "Ari Suutari" <ari.suutari@ps.carel.fi>, <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Single socket version of natd

That's a good point.

If we leave it in both ppp & natd, can we add a (third) arg to
PacketAlias{In,Out}() that tells it not to do anything with the
ip_sum ?  If it's reading raw packets from a wire (with ppp),
the sum may be wrong (this has been discussed before) and
we want to leave incorrect the sum alone, but with natd, it's a
terrible waste to have the kernel code zero the sum, have natd
re-calculate it, have PacketAliasIn() check it, and then probably
re-calculate it again (if anything's changed).

With a "leave the sum alone option", natd could pass the packet
with the zero'd ip_sum to PacketAliasIn() and know that it has
to calculate it itself afterwards....

Cheers.

Brian <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk> <brian@freebsd.org> <brian@utell.co.uk>
      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk>;