Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:14:01 +0000
From:      Mark Magiera <mark@hyow.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using kldload once devfs ruleset has been applied

I'm trying to load the snp module on one of my 5.3-STABLE servers but
it's failing with "kldload: can't load snp: No such file or directory"
despite snp.ko existing in /boot/kernel. kldstat confirms it's not
loaded btw.

On another one of my servers it's working fine and the only difference
really is that the server with the problem has a custom devfs ruleset
applied (pasted below just in case).

I've tried applying a ruleset that unhides all devices, but I still get
the same error. I'm assuming what's happening is that the "No such file
or directory" error is actually reffering to /dev/snp0 not
/boot/kernel/snp.ko and that the reason snp0 doesn't exist is that devfs
is hiding it since it only unhides those devices that existed when the
ruleset was applied, or at least I assume that's the case.

Anyway, my question is, is there possibly a way to get devfs to act as
if no ruleset was applied so that I can load the snp module?
I know I could compile snp into my kernel, or load it through
loader.conf but I need the snp module now and can't afford a reboot.
Plus I can see this being a problem when trying to load other modules
in the future when I've got devfs rulesets applied.

My /etc/devfs.rules:
: [show_all=9]
: add unhide
:
: [shell_server=50]
: add include $devfsrules_hide_all
: add include $devfsrules_unhide_basic
: add include $devfsrules_unhide_login
: add path console unhide
: #add path consolectl unhide
: add path 'ttyv*' unhide
: add path 'snp*' unhide
: add path mem unhide
: add path kmem unhide

My /etc/rc.conf:
: [snip]
: devfs_system_ruleset="shell_server"

PS, loading rule 9 (show_all) with the command `devfs ruleset 9`
doesn't help in case I haven't mentioned that already

PPS, this is all assuming that the ruleset is the cause of all this,
possibly there's another reason for not being able to load snp on this
server. Both servers are built from the same sources though and pretty
much identical configuration wise.

-- Mark Magiera