Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2006 05:27:43 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Abdullah Al-Marrie <almarrie@gmail.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Acer Aspire WLMi 5102 with AMD Turion 64 X2 system hanging with powerd on 6.2-RC1 and 6.2-PRERELEASE

--MIdTMoZhcV1D07fI

On Wed, 2006-Dec-20 15:04:31 -0800, Scot Hetzel wrote:
>Had the same problem where powerd would hang my HP Pavilion dv8000
>system.  I worked arround the problem by using the following in
>rc.conf:
>
>powerd_enable=3D"YES"
>powerd_flags=3D"-a maximum -b maximum"
>
>Of course this makes powered do nothing when on battery.

You might as well have
powerd_enable=3D"NO"

>  What I think
>is happening is that powered is too aggressive in downgrading the
>clock speed, that it eventually sets the clock to a value that is so
>low that the system stops responding.

I have an HP nx6125 that will randomly hang if powerd is enabled and
if you search back through the mailing lists, there are a few other
people with similar problems.  I've done some experimenting and in my
case, it's the clock speed transitions that cause a hang.  The actual
clock speed is irrelevant.  I believe it's a race condition or a
timing bug.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--MIdTMoZhcV1D07fI