Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:49:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cat: A bug or just as it should be?

Paul Everlund wrote to Jonathan Chen:

> > > Those "uuu" users, removed ones, are in no .his-
> > > tory as there are no history file in the directory
> > > /usr/home.
> >
> > You are cat'ing the contents of the directory "home" and getting
> > binary output.
>
> Yep. But why does REMOVED directories show up? In another directory
> removed files too shows up. Is this good? I can understand that dirs
> and files that are on the HDD shows, but removed ones? Is this due
> to left behind references of some kind?

You are dumping the contents of a binary file (which happens to be a
directory node) as ASCII. The fact that you can read anything in the
output is an amazement. ;-)

Directory nodes are really just a specific type of binary file, which
happen to be recognized by the filesystem and OS as something special.
Not unlike other binary files containing records, there tends to be a
lot of leftover garbage as records are allocated, deleted, and
changed. That's all you are seeing, and it has been completely normal
for decades. :-)

Pretty well everything in UNIX is a file. That was a conscious design
decision years ago.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-3630   Saskatoon