Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 2016 15:08:22 +0100
From:      John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
To:        Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>, Hrant Dadivanyan <hrant@dadivanyan.net>
Subject:   Re: Removing documentation

On 2/9/2016 2:46 PM, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
> After all of this "discussion" I decided to give synth a try. I have no
> pony in this race as I use neither portmaster nor portupgrade. Both may
> still be in my repo, but they are not installed.

Thanks for trying it!

> The build time of "like 20-30 minutes, at most" is ummm... let' just
> call it optimistic. I only needed five new dependencies. Poudriere was
> unable to take advantage of more than two parallel builders except for a
> rather short overlap where it used three, if I recall correctly. The
> vast majority of the time it used only one builder. Build and package
> time for gcc6-aux was 34:52 on an Intel E5-2650 v3. Build and package
> time for binutils, required for gcc6-aux, took 4:44. That's pretty close

hmmm, my core i5 builds it in 10-12 minutes and I've had it ~4 years?
I'm not sure why such a big descreptancy, but newer machines with 4-8Gb
or more ram should have no issues with time.

> to 40 minutes for just two dependencies, one of which is a dependency of
> the other. Build and package time for synth was 1:09.
>
> I installed synth and had a look at the man page. Nice job on the
> documentation though I might suggest more real world examples, in an
> "Examples" section at the end, would be helpful to people like me who
> want to understand how to get started. Sort of like a "quick start
> guide" that comes with a new electronic component. Get it going and then
> read the details on what's really important for the specific use case.
> That shouldn't be construed as a knock on the documentation, which
> really is very good.

Do you think the illustrated README on the github page is helpful?

https://github.com/jrmarino/synth

> This was last night and I haven't tried building with it yet. I need to
> re-read the documentation. I do however have concerns, the biggest of
> which is, yes, the dependencies. I use poudriere because I like to build
> packages myself for my installations and with my options, so using the
> FreeBSD repo version of synth will be a non-starter. That means that
> I'll need to rebuild gcc6-aux every time I need to rebuild synth,
> assuming gcc6-aux has been updated. It's a fair guess that gcc6-aux is
> regularly updated (the current version is dated 20160124). It's also a

After gcc6 hits release (6.1), it will probably only be released with
every point release (6.2, 6.3), which are separated by months.

> fair guess that synth will go through a few iterations in the short term
> given its youth. Looking at my recent build logs, the longest builds I

It's feature complete and v1.00 is coming out in a few days (same as
0.99_6 with a version bump).  v1.1 will come soon after when I improve
on the build-repository command to not scan the entire tree.  It's
already been through the iterations, so I don't there will be that many
more.  In any case, it's a small problem (and when gcc6-aux is released,
it won't build the bundled libraries anymore but use other ports so it
will be much, much faster to compile.

> run are far shorter than 35 minutes. This will slow things down and I'm
> not certain I'm going to be willing to keep a package in my repo that
> requires that amount of build time just as a dependency I otherwise
> would never build. To be honest, synth, which I will try, will have to
> be _far_ superior to poudriere in order to replace it as my tool of
> choice. Of course that's my use case and mine only.

To be fair, poudriere users aren't the target audience.  Yes, it's
significantly faster than poudriere and maybe people like the interface
better, but if they are already set up on poudriere and happy with it,
that's a fine choice too.

It's more for people that aren't using poudriere, really should be, but
are intimidated by it.

John