Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:28:03 +0900
From:      "<Ajith Asela Pasqual.>" <pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        kory@avatar.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: inetd[xxxx]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'

kory>  inetd[xxxx]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'
kory>
kory> I also see similar messages with I try to "su". I'm running 2.2.2-RELEASE.
kory> What is causing this and how can I fix it?

  This is a file I found at the FreeBSD ftp site. Hope this is helpful for
others having the same problem as I've seen this question many times.

jkh@time-> more ERRATA.TXT
Last minute errata:
-------------------

o login as root produces "login_getclass: unknown class 'root'" on system
  console.

Fix:  If you have the source distribution installed, simply
      cp /usr/src/etc/login.conf /etc
      otherwise, mount the 2nd CDROM and copy it from the live filesystem
      (cp /cdrom/usr/src/etc/login.conf /etc) instead.

o sysconfig scrambles rc.conf if run again.

Fix:  Get updated /usr/src from RELENG_2_2 branch and build
      /usr/src/release/sysinstall, copying the new binary to /stand.

      If you do not have enough space for src then you could also
      use the boot/fixit floppy combo from a later 2.2-YYMMDD-RELENG
      release to simply mount your root partition (using the Fixit
      option) and copy /stand/sysinstall from the floppy to /stand on
      your root fs.

Regards,
Ajith.
Ajith Pasqual - Hatori-Aizawa Lab., Dept of Info. & Comm. Eng., Univ. of Tokyo.
Email:pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp (WWW)http://www.hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~pasqual/
Key fingerprint = 5A A1 E6 D0 FF 96 FB F8  DE 23 EF 06 A1 76 94 E9