Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 17:59:05 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: time to up your pgp keys to 4096 bits?

On Mon, Mar 23, 1998 at 08:46:38AM -0800, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> Although it is smaller and faster than any silicon-based device,
> quantum computers are not expected to replace desktop PCs or
> supercomputers. Instead, these machines would be dedicated to
> specialized tasks such as generating keys for strong cryptography,
> an operation that requires a computer to factor very large numbers.

Just to clear up here: This is about breaking RSA, not 'generation
keys'.

And if I have understood correctly, quantum computing make factoring a
trivial excersise due to 'infinite parallelism'.  4096 bits is
unlikely to help; _any_ key length is unlikely to help.

Check out the RSA FAQ at http://www.rsa.com/ for some more details and