Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2017 19:53:29 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Hartmut.Brandt@dlr.de
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Calling ATM NIC users: en(4), fatm(4), hatm(4), patm(4)

--zx4FCpZtqtKETZ7O

Thanks, I've forwarded a copy to the list, but given that there were zero
non-spam messages in 2016, only three legitimate messages (that no one
answered) in 2015, and zero in 2014, 2013, and 2012, I think it's safe
to say there are no users.

-- Brooks

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:38:21PM +0000, Hartmut.Brandt@dlr.de wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> there is a freebsd-atm mailing list (at least there used to be). Should h=
ave been sent there too.
>=20
> On the topic: I'd say: remove it. As the one who wrote/refactored much of=
 that stuff I get approximately one support request per year. The problem i=
s, that I can't really help, since while I have all of that equipment still=
 available, I don't have any time to do anything with it. So the entire ATM=
 stack is basically unsupported.
>=20
> harti@
>=20
n the late 90s[0].  None of them have been manufactured in a long time and =
while you can buy hatm(4) devices on e-bay, it's increasingly difficult to =
find a motherboard that will accept them.
>=20
> I'd like to propose removing support for these NICs along with the remain=
ing ATM stack in FreeBSD 12.  This will give any existing users a supported=
 OS until at least September 30, 2021 per our published EOL date for FreeBS=
D 11.
>=20
> Would removal on this schedule cause you realistic hardship?  If so, plea=
se let us know.
>=20
> -- Brooks
>=20
> [0] 1997 press release for the most advanced ATM NIC we support http://ww=
w.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fore-systems-introduces-industrys-most-advan=
ced-atm-adapter-for-enterprise-networking-77407267.html
>=20

--zx4FCpZtqtKETZ7O

--zx4FCpZtqtKETZ7O--