Date:      Thu, 9 May 2013 10:33:41 -0700
From:      Paul Beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@Freebsd.org>
Subject:   question on manpages/hier(7)

Where should site-specific, ie local, man pages live?

For instance, I have:=20

/usr/local/man/man1/php.1.gz
/usr/local/share/man/man1/php.1.gz

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  3597 May  6 00:38 =
/usr/local/man/man1/php.1.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  3383 Dec 20 19:54 =
/usr/local/share/man/man1/php.1.gz

My understanding is that the older one is in the right place. The newer =
one is registered as belonging to php5.4-14 while the old one is =
orphaned.=20

I learn from lsof that the file that is actually opened and displayed is =
this one:
/usr/local/man/cat1/php.1.gz

But that's in /usr/local/man, not /usr/local/share/man. So it's in =
/usr/local but why not in /usr/local/share? And it's orphaned. Should it =
be?=20

I have just completed a several day cleanup of my local ports =
installation so I'm a little mystified at this. I also rebuilt my kernel =
and world so I should be up-to-date there too.=20

--
Paul Beard

Are you trying to win an argument or solve a problem?=20