Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 20:21:29 -0800
From:      nate@sneezy.sri.com (Nate Williams )
To:        Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Buying a laptop for FreeBSD - advice sought

> IntelDX4/100 CPU
> 	This should work.  Hopefully the APM features will work with the
> 	FreeBSD apm0 driver?

Things are getting better in this area.  I've cleaned up the code quite
a bit, and I hope to bring in some more changes from the Nomad which
affects back-wards compatability and some buggs APM BIOS's soon.

> 32-bit VLB Windows accelerator with 1 MB VRAM
> 	Chipset?  XFree86 compatible?  I don't need >256 colors but would
> 	be nice...

Who knows what this is.  It may/may not be supported.

> 1 Type II, 1 Type III PCMCIA slot
> 	What's the status re FreeBSD and PCMCIA?  I would ideally like to
> 	stick to a RELEASE or STABLE version, but if I must run CURRENT,
> 	I can cope.  Is this PCMCIA controller supported?  What PCMCIA
> 	devices are supported?  (I'm interested in modems, network cardsk,
> 	and SCSI cards.)

I'm working on it.  Currently, I'm the primary mover and shaker in the
FreeBSD laptop world, although the BSD Nomad group is Japan is doing
most of the coding.  I'm mostly doing code review and cleanup, although
I have done a slight bit of hacking on the code.

I'm hoping to have some patches to 2.1.1 which will enable PC-CARD
support, and I'm hoping that APM support will be standard in 2.1.1.

For those interested in FreeBSD on laptops, join the new
'freebsd-mobile' list which has yet to go active due to a business trip
I'm on.  Send email to majordomo@FreeBSD.org for instructions on how to
get signed up.  I *hope* to get some stuff written up in the next couple
days on how you can help, but if not then next week for sure.

Nate