Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2014 17:10:05 -0400
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: questions about (system) dhclient

	ooops - try "http://users.rcn.com/roberthuff/dhclient.conf"

 >>         Upon execution, I get this:
 >
 >> http://users.rcn.com/roberthuff/dhcp_offer
 >
 >You're getting on offer on a completely different network than that
 >where the dhcp server resides.  That's weird.  Do you expect that to
 >happen?

	Yes.  (Sometimes it's the same network, sometimes not.)

 >         However, when I look at dhclient.leases:
 >
 > http://users.rcn.com/roberthuff/dhclient.leases.em0
 >
 >This file is empty.  Is it supposed to be?

	No.  It should be there now.

 >  Try running "service netif stop em0" to stop the background dhclient
 >  process.

	Manually killed all dhclient processes.

 >  Then run "dhclient -d" to force it to remain in the
 >  foreground, and see if it prints any useful debugging info.

	Just the offer, ack, and bound-to/renewal lines.

 >  It might
 >  also be useful to run "tcpdump -i em0 host
 >  10.23.192.1" in another terminal.

	It may take a while before I can do that.

	Thanks for helping.

				Robert Huff